Tuesday, May 5, 2015

If you love listening to stream music online, I am sure that you know Grooveshark or happen to browse it and heard about it.  

Well, if not. Grooveshark is an online based music streaming service owned and operated in the U.S. by Escape Media Group.  It has a music streaming features, music recommendation system, and a search engine for music and artist. The user can upload their personal audio file which can be streamed and organized via a playlist.

Recently, Grooveshark had to shut down after operating nearly a decade because of some legalities. It was said that they failed to secure licenses from rights holders for the huge amount of music on the services and they admitted that they wrong and they are apologizing about it. 

I was a fan of their website and I love the services they have, unfortunately, last April 30, 2015, an open letter for the music fans was posted on their website. Check out the details in the screenshot below.

It was so sad to know that they are stopping their operation, but that is not the end of the story because every door closes there is something new that will open. 

Finally, after few days, I read an article today about Grooveshark being back

And it's true they are back and had a new website,  from http://grooveshark.com/ it is now http://grooveshark.io/. I visited the new website, it looks like the old one. Similarly the same in design (they only changed some details like the search box) and they are now being careful about their Terms of use, Privacy Policy, and even adds Disclaimer and DMCA/Copyright Policy & Notices on their contact us page. 

On the post, a named Shark who happens to be connected to Grooveshark said that and I quote;  

“Well, I started backing up all the content on the website when I started suspecting that Grooveshark’s demise is close and my suspicion was confirmed a few days later when they closed. By the time, they closed I have already backed up 90% of the content on the site and I’m now working on getting the remaining 10%.” 

- Shark, Grooveshark 

He even said that it was still in the initial stages of development. However, their team hopes tp reproduce the old Grooveshark UI as a whole that includes playlist and favorites.

And now... it seems like that they are really back! 


Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!